Ecclefechan Slope Remediation
Emergency works to repair a landslip beneath the railway between Lockerbie and Carlisle
Emergency works to repair a landslip beneath the railway on the West Coast Mainline between Lockerbie and Carlisle.
A speed restriction was put on the section of line after continuous heavy rain showers caused the embankment to slip beneath the railway.
The work involved repair to a 30m stretch of track near Ecclefechan in Dumfriesshire. More than 1,000 tonnes of stone were brought to the site and a stream was also diverted in order to complete the repair work
A short “haul road” was also constructed in order to get the stone to the site.
It is hoped the diversion of the nearby water course will help to avoid any repeat of the issue.
- Establish Site Compound
- Cut in haul road to slip area.
- Remove slip materials off site
- Install 250T of new Rock Armour.
- Install 1,800T of new Gabion Stone
- Divert nearby water course
- Reinstall fencing and upgrade existing access route
- Shortlisted for Ground Engineering Awards ‘UK Project with a Value between £1m – £3m