Lairthat In Situ Concrete Culvert Installation
Gretna – Glasgow Central remedial works
On completion of a structures survey completed by Arup and Network Rail it was established that the existing three span under bridge on the Gretna – Glasgow Central line required necessary remedial works to maintain its structural integrity.
The design proposal consisted of rendering the existing cast iron structure redundant by construction of a new in situ concrete box to facilitate the watercourse at Pow Water, Lairthat along with a new pre – cast concrete parapet cills and brickwork to provide a permanent solution to existing ballast retention issues.
Westlin Rail were appointed by Amco to provide the necessary formwork, reinforcement and concrete installation in accordance with Network Rails Form 003 and standard construction details, these works included:
- Ground floor slab installation to provide the necessary concrete bed for the river to flow through upon completion.
- Suspended concrete capping beam installation including fabrication of formwork tables which included fitting of soffit to facilitate the profile of the sheet piles.
- Concrete portal installation which include pile supported capping slab. Retaining walls and portal slab which were installed utilising both timber and proprietary formwork systems.
- Placing of foam concrete for final 600mm infill to ensure all voids were adequately filled.
- All works completed safely and efficiently throughout the project in extremely tight working conditions.